[Nut-upsdev] Battery Volts shown as 20+ on Cyber Power UPS CP1000AVRLCD

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Nov 26 22:50:35 UTC 2008

Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>:
>
>>     I have unsuccessfully tried to solve a problem with the voltage
>> value on my
>> Cyber Power UPS CP1000AVRLCD. Something is wrong with the battery voltage
>> calculation. It always reads around 20 volts with that's nuts (pardon
>> the pun).
>> Right now:
>>
>> battery.voltage    :    20.3
>>
>>     You can take a look for yourself at
>> http://www.3111skyline.com/nutindex.html
>>
>>     Is there a parameter I can check or adjust to get the voltage down
>> where it
>> should be? (Heck, I wouldn't mind just finding where the variable is
>> stored and
>> subtracting 8).
>
> The only calculation that is involved is done in the UPS. Per the HID
> PDC specification, NUT reports the HID path
> 'UPS.BatterySystem.Battery.Voltage' as is. As such, the firmware in your
> UPS is broken, as it doesn't meet the HID PDC specifications. Complain
> to TrippLite if you wish.
>
> Most likely, this will indeed require a correction to get to the actual
> battery voltage. We already knew that and most likely this will require
> two parameters in first order equation to get to
>
>     battery.voltage = A x reported value + B
>
> where A and B are to be determined. Which brings us to the problem that
> we will need at least two sets of reported versus actual battery.voltage
> to get to these. It could be that A is 1 and B is -8 (your guess now),
> but we would need some measurements with a sufficiently accurate
> measuring device to find these.
>
> The person that reported this issue before was either unwilling or
> unable to provide these, so unless you are, this is likely going to stay
> that way. If you're willing to work with us to solve this, please do.
> There already is a battery scaling for some other TrippLite units, so we
> could easily add this.
>
> In any case we'll need the output of 'lsusb' and the output of the
> 'usbhid-ups' driver running with debug level 2 (not higher).
>
> Best regards, Arjen

Arjen,

	You can count on me to do whatever dirty work you need done. Just give me my
marching orders and I'll promptly provide what ever additional information you
need. First, as requested, lsusb and lsusb -v (just in case):

16:37 nirvana~> lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

16:42 nirvana~> lsusb -v

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x0764 Cyber Power System, Inc.
  idProduct          0x0501
  bcdDevice            0.01
  iManufacturer           3 CPS
  iProduct                1 UPS CP1000AVRLCD
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower               50mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Devices
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.10
          bCountryCode           33 US
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength     387
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval              10
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

	Now, I need your help. How do I give you "'usbhid-ups' driver running with
debug level 2 (not higher)"? Just let me know and I'll send it immediately.
Currently in my ups.conf file I have:

[nirvana_ups]
        driver = usbhid-ups explore vendor="CPS"
        desc = "Nirvana UPS - Cyberpower 1000"
        port = /dev/hiddev0

	Do I need to add the extra parameters here? If so what? I'll keep trying to
figure out what you meant in the mean time. Thanks again and we will skin this
cat yet!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.      |          openSoftware und SystemEntwicklung
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC           |             Countdown for openSuSE 11.1