[Nut-upsdev] /sbin/upsdrvctl unable to shutdown UPS ...

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 20:00:49 UTC 2009

On Aug 8, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Alfred Ganz wrote:

> However, I really think the *right* way to proceed might be a
> rearranged
> order of the halt script, that triggers a delayed shutdown earlier in
> the script when everything can still be done. This would hopefully
> also
> address the issue of required libraries in a separately mounted /usr/
> lib.

Right, this would be ideal.

I don't think I explained this correctly the last time, but there is a
potential race condition with some UPSes if the power returns after
the delayed shutdown command is sent. At that point, the machine is
committed to shutting down, so the UPS needs to turn off the outlets
as commanded. But since the power has returned, the UPS can power the
outlets back on after a few seconds.

> Note1, since nut removes itself from the hid device, I presume that
> this
> 	involves removal of any corresponding /dev entries (in any case
> 	I see none on my system, there are two entries for the UPS:
> 	/dev/usbdev2.2_ep00 and /dev/usbdev2.2_ep81).

I was asking hypothetically, if the NUT code were changed to use /dev/
hiddev* instead of /proc/bus/usb or /dev/bus/usb.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail