[Nut-upsdev] Exide NetUPS SE (aka Powerware 5119 etc)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 14:49:26 UTC 2009

2009/1/1 Johan Adler <johan.adler at gmail.com>

> Arnaud,

Hi Johan,

> Does the Eaton merger/cooperation mentioned in the Christmas mail mean
> that you/we(the NUT team) will get the necessary information about
> older (Eaton) Powerware equipment and protocol too? In that case my
> suggested protocol forensics might be a waste of time (even if I might
> personally learn a thing or two in the process).

indeed.
I'm currently preparing various actions, including the publication of
UPSCode II and its cabling.
that's what was suggested in my preliminary mail, and the further Christmas
mail.
sorry not to have been able to react more explicitly before, end of the year
burden...

the only issue for now is that the 3 authors of the upscode2 drivers have
either explicitly or implicitly resigned.
so if you're interested in coding a bit to complete this driver, you're very
welcome ;-)

2008/12/30 Kjell Claesson <kjell.claesson at epost.tidanet.se>:
> > I think you find them in the nut comaptiblity list also. The difference
> is
> > that we need a report on that it works.
>
> OK, then let it be noted that my Exide NetUPS SE works just fine with
> the upscode2 driver, as far as I can see. I have not actually pulled
> the plug on the UPS, letting NUT shut down the system, since I am
> quite happy just knowing that my UPS will keep my server running
> during the power failures I get here a few times a year.
>
> > Yes and bcmxcp have been improved in the trunk (going for 2.4.0).
> > And I think it would be good if we can get this into the upscode2 also.
>
> Me too.
>
> > Are you up for to do some programming?
> > In that case I can support you with some doc's on how the loadsegment
> > is working in the upscode2. Don't know if the developer of the upscode2
> > driver is still active, I know they have this info.
> >
> > Im at the moment on a low level of activity, due to many other things to
> do,
> > but I keep up with the list traffic and try to have the bcmxcp driver
> working.
> > But it need more work.
>
> It has been a while since I coded in C, but I think I could do it if I
> could find the time. Modifying existing source should be easier than
> trying to write a new driver from scratch.

indeed!

Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops