[Nut-upsdev] Documentation-related questions

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Tue Jan 20 15:27:05 UTC 2009

Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
> well, I've thought a bit about that in the past days, and I'm obviously
> going for #1 (in-tree).
> but I think with a slight variation: a few pieces don't need (and even more,
> must not) be in the source tree. This is mostly the Homepage and Protocol
> library (== everything not under Documentation in the wiki ; I've started to
> reorganize this last with that idea in mind, but it's not finished).
> You can have an idea of this by mousing over the wiki menu...
>
> The website is then a base container (homepage + menu) with pointers to the
> online documentation.
>
> so I'm thinking about trimming it to that simple base. The wiki may then be
> superfluous (I'm hesitating due to i18n, which is another target), and a
> static set might do the trick.
>
> we will need to talk / think a bit more to refine the final solution, but
> this looks really promising ^_^

Your having made the basic decision helps a lot.  It means I can get started on
moving the in-tree documentation to asciidoc, revising it as necessary.
Tinkering with the wiki and what stays in it can come later.

> I'll postpone a bit more these discussions to concentrate on the various
> mentioned tasks. we can still continue to talk, but I won't be much
> responsive atm.

I'll have enough to work on until Thursday, then I'll be traveling until
the following Tuesday.  We can resume this discussion after next week.