[Nut-upsdev] new variable

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at epost.tidanet.se
Fri Oct 2 09:54:48 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 1 Oct 2009, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
Hi Gabor,

> > keep simulation parameters in a separate config file from driver
> > parameters.
>
> Meanwhile file docs/developers.txt writes (watch the third sentence):
Yep, And that is described in line two of the next paragraph.

> | Note: this does not apply to drivers.  Driver authors should use the
> | upsdrv_makevartable() scheme to pick up values from ups.conf.  Drivers
> | should not have their own config files.

This two sentences is explaining the difference between the config and
parameter file.
> | Drivers may have their own data files, such as lists of hardware,
> | mapping tables, or similar.  The difference between a data file and a
> | config file is that users should never be expected to edit a data file
> | under normal circumstances.  This technique might be used to add more
> | hardware support to a driver without recompiling.
>
> Now what? :-)

So it is not a config file but a parameter file that set parameters for a
specific type. And this should not be edited.

> It is hard to decide if "charging current of an imaginary UPS" or
> "the maximal charge time" is a hardware description or
> simulation data.

Don't get what you are after. But "charging current of an imaginary UPS"
sounds to me like a simulation data. And max charge time may also be
a simulation of how fast it reach the 100% charge.
But I have not checked this out.

But from your former letter. The minus sign is negative battery current,
(discharging). And positive is charging.

Some ups'es may have less charging current then discharging.
Say it can charge 10Amp's but when on battery it can discharge
up to 15Amp's.

If this is implemented in a bcmxcp ups it should also report battery current.

/Kjell