[Nut-upsdev] MGE NMC and NutShutdownModule (and other stuff)

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Sun Oct 25 16:02:20 UTC 2009

Arjen de Korte ha scritto:
> So you can't run more than one NSM driver on a single host (which would
> be needed to fit into the existing NUT infrastructure, where each
> controllable outlet should be exposed as a single UPS). You'd need a
> special kind of driver instead that would expose all the NMC's it sees
> to the upsd server, mimicking a UPS instance for each outlet it sees.
> This is not something that can be dealt with easily now.

Yes, that's why I was asking about mge-xml subdriver vs. new driver
choice.  However my idea was to keep things easy and to basically create
a NSM clone for NUT. The Eaton/MGE software takes a list of <ups,outlet>
keys and a redundancy schema (unnecessary if using a single ups); (if
I'm not wrong) it polls the summary page from every single ups in the
list, merging informations with the NMC alarms, and, using some schema
specific calculations exposes a single virtual ups, the one that upsmon
should monitor. You can use more than one schema, for example one per
PSU. It should not be too difficult and solves these problems, right?
The downside is that, if you want detailed informations from one or more
UPSes involved in the redundancy schema, the netxml-ups driver have to
be used as well. While if we include the management code in the
netxml-ups driver there is no way to support the redundancy
configurations supported by the Eaton/MGE software, even though it could
be enough for small/SOHO environments.
Obviously I'm assuming that redundancy is based on just Eaton/MGE
products, otherwise I'm afraid the NSM it's not the way to go.
Let me know what do you think about it.

> I won't investigate in this further for now and instead will put my time
> in finally getting the setvar/instcmd's up and running in the netxml-ups
> driver,

Good :)

Regards,
Marco