[Nut-upsdev] Liebert ESP II driver

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed Jul 7 09:03:41 UTC 2010

Citeren Farkas Levente <lfarkas op lfarkas.org>:

> the truth is that we don't know what's happened. we only recognize if
> nut is running and we just unplug the power from the ups the computer
> shutdown and after 2 minutes the ups turn off itself.
> while if we run liebert's java ups manager service and java gui the
> same thing is not happened.

The java GUI probably switches the UPS from 'autonomous mode' (where
it decides to switch off the power itself) to the 'monitored mode'
(where the decision is made by an external program, like the java
GUI). This is not uncommon. The trick is to find out how to tell the
UPS that it is being monitored. It could be the java GUI sends an
initialization command upon startup, or a command to keep running on
battery when it finds the mains has failed.

Assuming that Liebert isn't willing to tell us how this works, the
only way to find out what to do is to listen in to the communication
between java GUI and the UPS and mimic the same behavior. None of the
active developers currently owns such a UPS, so if this is important
to you, you'll have to provide us with this information.

Using a serial port sniffer on a native serial port is probably the
easiest way to go (like 'Portmon for Windows'). I don't recommend to
use a USB to serial converter with 'usbsnoop' here, since that will
mean that you'll have to decode both the USB to serial conversion
*and* the serial communication between the java GUI and the UPS.

Please keep list traffic on the list