[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r2610 - branches/silent_build

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 10:03:35 UTC 2010

2010/10/25 Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org <nut%2Bdevel at de-korte.org>

> Citeren Arnaud Quette <aquette at alioth.debian.org>:
>

>  Log:
>> Optionaly enable silent build rules, using AM_SILENT_RULES, only if it's
>> supported (requires automake 1.11)
>>

> Why do we need a new branch for this? As far as I can see, only the below
> lines are really needed

mostly for testing on other systems and non gmake targets, while waiting for
systems that have not entered the buildbot ring.
and there are some more lines underway...

 +dnl Currently, we only (force) enable silent rules if available
>> +dnl Verbose mode can be turned on using "--disable-silent-rules"
>> +m4_ifdef([AM_SILENT_RULES], [AM_SILENT_RULES([yes])])
>>

> Since the above first checks if this is available and then enables it, I
> don't see where this might lead to portability concerns. Even it if does, we
> already provide an option to disable this. So instead of creating a new
> branch, it probably requires just a few lines in the UPGRADING file (or
> equivalent) to mention the changed behavior and what can be done if it
> breaks compilation.

ATM, this is still theory, and also why I choose this approach. But as told,
I'd like to have some proofs before putting it in the trunk.

this will be part of the remaining things, along with a reference in
configure.txt and some more testing around silencing other things (like the
copy, python / perl calls, asciidoc, ...) using AM_V_GEN.
this shouldn't last more than a week...

cheers,