[Nut-upsdev] Repo conversion progress report

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 13:36:03 UTC 2011

On Dec 22, 2011, at 5:56 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> I am pleased to be able to report that reposurgeon's Subversion dump
> stream parser is now working well enough to produce a live git repo
> from the NUT history up to r3364.

Great news! Is there a copy of the Git repo that I can take an early look at, or is this version of the reposurgeon code committed somewhere?

> This didn't happen easily.  The NUT repo is a wonderful test case, and
> by that I mean it was a stone bitch to get the stream parser to handle
> it.
>
> One class of problems was due to cv2svn, which did things with the
> stream format that are legal but...perverse.  That was mostly in the
> early history; it get a lot cleaner after the switchover from CVS.

There is also that issue of SVN allowing both local and remote copies of files to make branches, and I've always been suspicious of that metadata. This is particularly evident when git-svn tries to understand what is going on around branch creation points that were recreated with the same name (windows_port, etc).

> Another was scale.  I had a couple of nominally working
> implementations that were unusable because they grovelled for hours
> before producing results.  But the full translation of 33K commits is
> now down to 117 seconds on a bog-standard 2.66Ghz dual-core Intel box.

Agreed - same problem as with git-svn before svnsync came along.

> I'm not done yet.  Now I get to go over the converted repo with a
> fine-tooth comb, looking for Subversion metadata that could be
> converted more intelligently.  There might be more coding to do.

If you're looking for a second set of eyes on the converted metadata, let me know.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail