[Nut-upsdev] patch: Replace many usleep and some sleep calls with nanosleep

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Oct 3 18:52:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, Regid Ichira wrote:

>  I am not sure I understood:
> 1. Are you saying that usleep is already defined in terms of nanosleep?
 	Most likely, yes.
>   Where?
 	Standard library

> 2. Are you suggesting to keep the current code, and use something like
> In any case, I think that using nanosleep directly, without any intermediate functions, is more readable.

     If calling nanosleep was actually just a matter of nanosleep(time),
     I would agree.  However, it is actually a matter of

     struct timespec delay = {0, 250e6}; nanosleep(&delay, NULL);

     Which is rather wordy, and doesn't include checking for interruption
     be signal (if sleeping the full amount is important).

     int u_sleep(long time) {
       struct timespec delay = {time/1000000, (time%1000000) * 1000};
       return nanosleep(&delay, NULL);
       /* FIXME: We should sleep remaining delay if interrupted by signal
          to fully emulate usleep.
          Otherwise, should we return remaining time in microseconds?
 	 FIXME: For UPS driver purposes, millisecond precision would be more
 	 convenient.  Perhaps this should be millisleep.
        */
     }

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>