[Nut-upsdev] EMC Clariion stanby power supply

Richard Collins the.hungarian at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 20:35:41 UTC 2013

Hello All.

I'm working on building support for the Clariion range of standby power
supplies.  I've found you can get hold of these easily on ebay like:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMC-CLARiiON-Standby-Power-Supply-118031985-
SPS-1000W-/160373295258

There is a problem that I haven't been able to work around.  After 90 seconds
without power, the device shuts down.  This is because the "vaults" they're
meant to protect are suposed to shut themselves down within 90 seconds,
without fail.  If I can find a way to alter this timeout I think it would make
a great UPS.

Until i get some time to do it I thought I'd share what I've learnt.

It has a serial interface in the form of a RJ12 connector.
Pinout:
1:	GND
2:
3:
4:
5:	Rx on Host
6:	Tx on Host

I think the other pins are used for simple level signals.

Invalid commands are met with a "?" responce.
>From the firmware in the PIC uController I've discovered the following commands
(the "?" is part of the command):

PTR
NTR
ENABLE
COND?
STATUS?
MFG?
STOP
BATTEST
BATTEST?
EMOFF
PN?
SN?
REV?

Command meanings:

Command: 			PTR
Example Responce:
Comment:			Unknown, no reponce recieved

Command:			NTR
Example Responce:
Comment:			Unknown, no reponce recieved

Command: 			ENABLE
Example Responce:
Comment: 			Unknown, no reponce recieved

Command: 			COND? :
Example Responce:		00002
Comment: 			see bit table below

Command: 			STATUS?
Example Responce:		00002
Comment: 			see bit table below, probably same as COND?. Once this has
been sent the device sends status updates

Command: 			MFG?
Example Responce:		Acbel, API-1FS18, E04.00, 01/22/2003
Comment: 			Version/Manufacturer

Command: 			STOP
Example Responce:
Comment: 			Stops any running battery test

Command: 			BATTEST
Example Responce:		!@#00128
Comment: 			Starts a battery test

Command: 			BATTEST?
Example Responce:		TESTING
Comment: 			Returns TESTING if BATTEST command has been started.

Command: 			EMOFF
Example Responce:
Comment: 			On Mains power: Device resets, On battery: supply and sps
shuts off.

Command: 			PN?
Example Responce:		118031985\0x00
Comment: 			Part number

Command: 			SN?
Example Responce:		AC105060400783
Comment: 			Serial number

Command: 			REV?
Example Responce:		A06
Comment: 			Revision

Status updates once STATUS? command has been issued:

On power failure: 		!@#00001
On power restored:	!@#00000
Once fully charged:		!@#00002