[Nut-upsdev] How to treat UPS status of TRIM as on line

Elliot Dierksen ebd at oau.org
Sat Jan 11 21:08:55 UTC 2014

> On Jan 10, 2014, at 12:58 PM, Elliot Dierksen wrote:
>> I am using NUT 2.6.5 as part of FreeNAS 9.2.0. I am using an APC
>> Smart-UPS
>> 5000 RM DL4 with a AP9619 network management card. NUT properly detects
>> when the UPS goes on battery and initiates a shutdown after the
>> configured
>> time. The problem I have is that I am using a 208V unit on a 240V
>> circuit.
>> That means the normal state for the UPS is "TRIM". NUT doesn't treat
>> that
>> as an on line condition, so the system shuts down every time there is a
>> power failure.
>
> I'm confused. When the snmp-ups driver starts, does it immediately see the
> TRIM state and initiate a shutdown, or does this only happen after going
> on battery once?

No, it is fine when it starts. The problem is when a power failure occurs.
NUT doesn't interpret TRIM and power on line, so it thinks line power was
never restored. It initiates a shutdown after the configured time (300
seconds) expires.

> Other SNMP sub-drivers map the "TRIM" status to "OL TRIM", so I suspect
> the same could be done for the 'apcc' MIB setting.
>
>> I realize what I am doing is a bit of a kludge, but I can't
>> get a 208V circuit easily in my house.
>>
>> I am also getting these messages whenever NUT starts
>>
>> "[CR-UPS] Warning: excessive poll failures, limiting error reporting"
>
>>From a quick look at the code, it's possible that the MIB auto-detection
>> is pushing the error count over the limit. What configuration variables
>> do you have in ups.conf?

I have tried it with "mib=apcc" and without. I get the same behavior. That
is a minor annoyance that does seem to appear only at startup.

EBD