[Nut-upsdev] Documenting the NUT driver-qualification process

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:16:01 UTC 2014

On Jul 9, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at mittelstaedt.us> wrote:

> Someone could write a driver for MODBUS for NUT, all of the information
> and materials are available to do it.  The simple fact of it is that the
> reason no one has done so is that the apcupsd program is available.

You're right, it's the microlink protocol that they have been promising to release. My mistake. We even have a branch where Arnaud was starting to write some code against libmodbus. However, the documentation seems to lag the introduction of the new products that all of a sudden don't work with existing software.

> I guess the story about the big evil impersonal corporation beating up on the small OSS software project is more compelling than the reality that the big corporation has made development info available and the
> small OSS software project isn't interested, even though the story is
> fabrication.

Sigh.

A simple "that's wrong; here are the facts" would have sufficed.

I did try to look up the correct information this morning, and I was getting 503 errors on apcupsd.org, and APC's forums were timing out.

My point, which I believe still stands, is that Tripp Lite has been implementing the standard PDC HID protocols, and even testing against NUT, whereas APC has been much more of a moving target. I don't believe I accused APC of malice in their innovation, but if it sounds like I am frustrated with that situation, I am.

When you're done picking apart Eric's UPS HOWTO, we have plenty of NUT documentation that could also stand to be updated. Patches gladly accepted. I'll even reformat them to Asciidoc if that's not your cup of tea.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail