[Nut-upsdev] Documenting the NUT driver-qualification process

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 19:18:36 UTC 2014

Hi Eric,

sorry for the lag, summer time...

I'm first seconding Charles comments

> I think the time for me to get involved in NUT documentation has come
> again.

welcome back

> Late last week I had to buy a UPS under time pressure.  The Eaton unit
> that thus project gifted me with in 2006(?) died during a severe
> thunderstorm watch, so it was off to MicroCenter to get a replacement
> pronto.
>
> I wound up buying an APC BN700MC.  It was what they had in the
> performance range I needed.  The removable battery door was pleasing.
>
> Based on the experience, I have updated the UPS HOWTO:
>
> http://www.catb.org/esr/ldp/UPS-HOWTO.html
>
> The bad news, however, is that (a) this is not a NUT-supported device,

I've logged an entry for the APC Modbus:
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/139

> and (b) the (poorly documented) NUT process for discovering and
> customizing a driver failed at the first step.  Running upsstart
> gave a driver fail message containing no clues as to how to recover.

yup, definitely room for enhancement!
I've got some ideas, beside from the obvious need to improve the
documentation, that I'll like to discuss.

> This is definitely USB and probably a fairly generic hidups device.
> There is no good reason for customizing a driver profile to be
> so difficult.

well, I'm unsure since I'm just opening this "APC Modbus Pandora box"
but if I understand correctly, your new unit is a microlink one.
though the serial version should be Modbus only, I can't say at first if
the USB ones implement if full Modbus over HID or any other mean.
I would need traces to give more info.

anyway, this may not be as generic USB as you think.

What I'd like to do is this: confer in real-time, perhaps via IRC,
> with someone who knows this process.  Ask about every step (thought
> processes and diagnostics).  *Write them down* and turn this into a
> document on how to qualify and support a new device.
>
> Volunteer, please?

I am

I would also be more than happy to have you looking more closely at NUT
documentation in general [1].
Charles and myself have worked a lot on the Asciidoc conversion, with some
improvements.
But I know it needs an overall revamp, with usability in mind.
Would you be willing to work on that one?

cheers,
Arno