[Nut-upsdev] Minutemen UPS Driver

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at mittelstaedt.us
Fri Dec 15 12:30:39 GMT 2023

My personal experience with a number of UPSes that are monitored via USB
cable is that communications errors such as the ones referenced in the
issue you linked to below are a result of USB hardware incompatibilities
between the USB chipset and the USB port on the motherboard.*  This is
NOT specific to the NUT project as it affects both apcupsd and in fact,
has been reported as an issue with certain Windows systems and UPS brands.

The true reality here is that nobody can rely on a UPS for reliable
automated server shutdowns.  If you need true reliability you need a
generator on a maintenance contract, and a UPS that gets mandatory
battery replacements every 3 years and the UPS's purpose is only to
carry the server while the generator spins up.

The only thing that monitoring a UPS is good for is REDUCING the
frequency of unexpected shutdowns that require an extensive fsck on
restart.  In other words - if you aren't willing to pay the money to
REPLACE your Minuteman UPS with a model that is better supported, and
use serial port monitoring instead of USB monitoring (since serial ports
are more likely to not have compatibility issues) then you aren't even
in the class to even start demanding you will have reliable shutdowns.
What you are going to get from NUT + your Minuteman UPS is all you can
expect - and it's going to be better than a completely unmonitored UPS
so take it and be happy with it.  And, hedge your bets by using ext3
mounted with data=journal option, or use zfs and get familiar with what
zfs-scrub does and how to use it, and what zpool status does and how to
use it to repair a corrupt pool (AKA delete the file that's corrupted)
on a battery-backup hardware RAID card.

Ted

* Some people have found the insertion of a cheap USB hub in between the
UPS and the motherboard will fix USB communication errors. YMMV