[Nut-upsdev] release?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Jan 9 16:17:11 GMT 2023

It seems we have crossed the threshold where regular people are better
off with git master vs the most recent formal release.  Particularly
because packaging systems package actual releases, that leads to a
release being overdue.

There are infinite things to improve, and 536 open issues.   My view is
that a release needs to only have some degree of improvement (which git
master clearly does) and not have significant regressions.

I therefore wonder about:
  - let's try to shake out regressions and bugs in code new to the release
  - defer fixes that aren't regressions
  - get 2.8.1 out

and then continue hacking.

>From the packager viewpoint, it takes 10 minutes to update to a release,
plus time to adapt to changes.  So as long as releases are not more than
every few months on average, there's no issue.

(There's a related issue about asking users filing bugs to retest with
the latest release, which argues for having that release be fairly
recent.)

(There is windows binaries, but I don't see that as a regression and I
don't see anyone actively working on it.)

What's in the regression category, once python searching is updated?

Greg