[Nut-upsdev] POWEROFF_WAIT added in shutdown script, but not provided or documented

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 23:00:34 BST 2023

Technically, looking at `git blame docs/man/nut.conf.txt` - the option was
documented since 2009 at least, it seems.

I believe that entry is more about having a common approach to this problem
that is to be addressed by distros and packagers per their
SYSV/SMF/systemd/init.d/rc.local/upstart/..... hassles.

While for some time NUT does provide "reference" or "sample" contributed
scripts, it is more of a convenience to custom builders doing a `make
install` and hacking their OS shutdown handling per FAQ and other lore (key
words: power race condition avoidance). While we hope that distros benefit
from them, no idea if they actually do - or roll their own.

That said, I agree it could be publicised better in `nut.conf.sample`
installed to systems, at least those who do deliver support for it during
shutdowns - and so should be used in the example shutdown-handling scripts
for various systems and certain man pages.

Jim