[Nut-upsdev] What is the arduino sub-driver intended to be used for?

Kelly Byrd kbyrd at memcpy.com
Wed Nov 15 14:50:31 GMT 2023

Making progress on this PR. I have question about storing and checking
state in a subdriver
HID Power Devices can a "UPS.PowerSummary.CapacityMode" value. According to
the spec, the values are:
0: maH
1: mwH
2: percent (%)
3: Boolean support only (OK or failed)

Grep'ing the source, nothing makes use of this now (some subdrivers have it
mapped to unmapped.ups.powersummary.capacitymode or something similar) and
many of the HID UPS drivers assume CapacityMode 2 (they interpret
RemainingCapacity, WarningCapacityLimit, RemainingCapacityLimit as
percent). My application (and the original sample sketch for the Arduino
project also does this, so I'm fine with that.

But, I was wondering if anyone could point out the right way in a NUT
subdriver to have a function that handles RemainingCapacity do different
things based on CapacityMode. I think I understand how to write my own
function to handle values in arduino-hid.c, but I don't know how to check
the state of a previously parsed value, especially one that doesn't have a
place to be stored in the normal nut names variable hierarchy.

Or maybe this is too much trouble and I'll just assume CapacityMode = 2.