[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] APC Modbus support is finally here!

d tbsky tbskyd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 15:12:25 GMT 2023

Jim Klimov <jimklimov+nut at gmail.com>
> At least by intent of this new feature -- yes. Normally the drivers are not allowed to pass these dangerous commands unless started specifically for killpower handling late in the system shutdown. Since NUT v2.8.1 however there's this safety switch to toggle and then an instant command should be usable. But as this is a relatively recent addition to the codebase and it is not integrated with practical shutdowns in any packages yet (AFAIK) to avoid killing a driver daemon to restart it as the driver tool just for the killpower command, it has not seen much real-life testing -- so it is possible that some bugs lurk here too.

ok. I will test it for other drivers if I have a chance. I thought nut
would issue "shutdown.return" at the last stage. but it seems not what
I thought. I checked my ups and one of them didn't have
"shutdown.return" command but still nut can shutdown/return the ups
correctly. (BACK-UPS 1100VA with driver usbhid-ups). so I don't really
understand how nut shutdown the ups.

> Regarding shutdowns triggered due to calibration - the `CAL` state should be specially handled with regard to `OB`/`LB` in `upsmon` since recently. However this driver seems to use `TEST` here? Raised a question in https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/2184 discussion (also referenced your replies there). Actually, now I wonder (did not test) how `upsmon` interacts with `upssched` in case of calibrations, if this is suppressed or not...

   sorry I didn't have time to put load to the ups, so I haven't test
the calibration. I will do that tomorrow. "OB TEST" was triggerd by
command "test.battery.start". as I said I just saw one ups which shows
"OB" when calibration(Smart-UPS 1500 RM manufactured at 2012 with
driver usbhid-ups"). I thought those wordings are coming directly from
ups. but it seems it can be handled correctly by nut? BTW, I have used
upses with driver nut_drvqx/usbhid-ups/apcsmart, all these drivers are
using the command "test.battery.start.deep" for calibration. but the
new driver apc_modbus uses the command "calibrate.start". I don't know
if there are common
terminology for these commands?

Regards,
tbskyd