[Nut-upsdev] Non compatible ups

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 14:50:35 BST 2023

Curious, the only hit by that ID is for Huawei UPS2000 (added in NUT
v2.8.0, somewhat fixed and extended later in the master branch):

    docs/man/huawei-ups2000.txt:    04e2:1410 Exar Corp. XR21V1410 USB-UART
IC

Current NUT docs mention that this chip was used in earlier models of the
device, and proper OS driver support requires Linux 5.12 or newer. Earlier
systems mis-detect it with the `cdc_acm` driver which does not actually
handle the chip.

APC docs from the product page unfortunately do not clarify which protocol
the device talks (there are MicroLink, SmartLink, ModBus, USB-HID, etc. on
the platter) so currently your best chance would be to fiddle with
custom-built code - e.g. add the identifiers to `apc_usb_device_table[]` in
`drivers/apc-hid.c` and check if existing USB HID protocol support would
help here.

If the device only talks modbus instead (APC tended to neglect the USB HID
standard since 2010 or so), I think currently nobody implemented nor ported
that into NUT (issue #139), you might have a chance with latest releases of
`apcupsd` project (2016 or so) and if desirable - spin up a NUT
`apcupsd-ups` driver which would be a client to `apcupsd` data server to
relay info into the NUT ecosystem.

Jim