[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] RFE to extend "LISTEN" directive to support host-colon-port (as single token)

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 14:23:57 BST 2024

Thanks for sharing your take on this. (Sorry about likely mixing historic
standards, was not in position to cross-check while posting)

Just to clarify: using a different port *is* possible since forever, with
`LISTEN host port` (as two arguments to the directive); the question was if
having a way to spell it as one argument as `LISTEN host:port` would solve
some shortcomings/ease adoption more than introduce some new problems :)

With recent releases addressing this area, a host name resolving to several
IP addresses should be recognized, but at the moment this would only emit a
warning about the situation and the first seen IP address number would get
attempted for bind(). If this proves to be a problem, should not be too
hard to address (need to inject entries into an internal list tracking the
sockets which is originally sized by amount of LISTEN lines; there is
already precedent for injection of IPv4 and IPv6 where a single `LISTEN *`
directive and avoided dual-stack mode are in place).

As for practical use of non-default ports, NIT (NUT Integration Testing)
scripts come to mind and do that extensively (especially where the same CI
host/agent can be running different scenarios in parallel, so any one
hard-coded port is prone to conflict).

Other practical reasons might include security by obscurity (like running
web consoles or ssh on strange ports), running different NUT data servers
(e.g. real drivers on one, and "dummy-ups" or "clone*" relays on the
other), or attempts to avoid conflicts with uncooperative software. Can't
think of much more quickly :)

Hope this helps,
Jim Klimov