[Nut-upsuser] Problem detecting USB/HID UPS

Brian Foster penguinator781 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 09:52:08 UTC 2006

Hi all,
I guess this is more for the development side of things, rather than for
my own benefit:
the udevinfo output for my Tripplite SMART1200LCD, and this is all it
gives me:

brifo at thebeast:/$ udevinfo -q all -p /class/usb_device/usbdev1.18
P: /class/usb_device/usbdev1.18
N: bus/usb/001/018
E: USB_BUS=001
E: USB_DEV=018

man udevinfo states that these are the attributes that can be used when
making rules for the udev .rules files.  The obvious problem is that the
only available information for the Tripplite SMART 1200 USB is its USB
connectivity info, which changes with each unplug and boot.  This makes
it next to impossible to form dependable permissions rules.  I think
I'll take Peter's advice on his website and just run the apps (upsmon,
upsdrvctl, etc) as root.  If anyone has any better solutions, I would
gladly be open to suggestions.

~Brian Foster