[Nut-upsuser] Re: Question on Belkin UPS

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Thu Jan 5 02:24:30 UTC 2006

Dear Ashley,

I have no personal experience with the Tower-Rack series, but someone
reported on the Nut-upsuser mailing list on 29 Nov 2005 that these
models work with the "belkin" driver of the NUT software
(http://www.networkupstools.org/). This is for the serial port. For
USB, the NUT "newhidups" driver should work (or if it does not, we can
fix it).

The software that Belkin includes is the "Bulldog" software. They do
offer a Linux version, but it is not included on the CD that comes
with their products (one can download it from their website). This
software controls and monitors the UPS (and it can also shut down the
computer if there is a power failure). I have found the Bulldog
software to be buggy and especially the Linux version does not work
very well. I prefer NUT, which is open source, but it is slightly more
work to set up.

I am ccing this mail to the Nut-upsuser list, please respond to the
list if you tneed any additional help with the NUT software. Of
course, we would welcome a positive report if you get it to work with
NUT, or a negative one if it doesn't.

-- Peter