[Nut-upsuser] Recommended UPS to buy for use with NUT?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun Jun 4 19:10:27 UTC 2006

Clay Barnes wrote:

>>> I am running a home box (600watt total load, may expand to 800-900) and
>>> I need a UPS that can sustain power to that for at least 20 min, but
>>> I want as much time as I can get.
>> Is that rated load, or actual load? That seems like an awful lot of
> Hm...  It's the max draw of my combined tower, screen, scanner and
> printer (it's not laser, I know not to do *that*).  I want to be able to
> use all of them for a short time after a power failure.

There is a difference between the max load a UPS can handle and the
average load it sees. The first determines mainly how powerful the
electronics that convert the battery voltage to mains must be. The
latter how large the storage capacity of the battery must be. Most of
the time, a bigger UPS will also have more battery capacity, but this is
not always true and in that case, buying a beefier UPS will not give you
a longer runtime. Therefor it is always important to consider both peak
load and average load.

Regards, Arjen