[Nut-upsuser] Problem after reboot

Piers Kittel edinfo-list at biased.org
Wed Mar 1 23:59:20 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Rebooted my server by mistake (don't ask...) - everything was working OK
before the reboot, but after the reboot, NUT stopped working - so had a
look and I found I couldn't track the exact problem - I'm quite stumped
as there's nothing indicating that there's a problem, but it just
doesn't work...

In a nutshell....

destiny:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.2
Network UPS Tools (version 2.0.2) - APC Smart protocol driver
         Driver version 1.99.7, command table version 2.0
getpwnam(nut): Success
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
destiny:/usr/local/ups/bin#

I see a "Success" and then a "Failed" notice.  Which is which?  And what
has failed?  And how?

I tried running the driver on its own:

destiny:/usr/local/ups/bin# ./apcsmart /dev/ttyS0 -x cable=940-0024C
Network UPS Tools (version 2.0.2) - APC Smart protocol driver
         Driver version 1.99.7, command table version 2.0
getpwnam(nut): Success
destiny:/usr/local/ups/bin#

which points to me there's a problem with upsdrvctl somehow.

Am running an APC Smart UPS V/S 1400 with a home made serial cable.  My
ups.conf contains:

[ups]
         driver=apcsmart
         port=/dev/ttyS0
         cable=940-0024C
         desc="UPS"

and nothing else.

Any ideas how I can fix this problem?

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Cheers - Piers