[Nut-upsuser] Sweex 1000VA UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 17:17:24 CET 2006

On 11/11/06, YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if the ups will actually shutdown the system now on low
> battery.

If the status changes to "OB LB", then it should shut your system down
(assuming everything else is still configured properly).

> upsc ain't showing much information on the battery status here, but as far
> as I remember
> I've read somewhere in the docs that this is normal with genericups drivers,
> not?

Yes, the UPS monitors the battery level internally, and sets the
serial pins to a certain state. Because genericups is only looking at
the levels of two pins, there are only 4 states that the UPS can
report (online vs. on battery, battery OK vs. battery low).

There is still the possibility that the UPS can report more status
over the serial data lines (including battery charge level, voltages,
load, etc.) but it sounds like you have tried a number of different
drivers already.

> It's not the right time now to check if the system really is shutdown when
> the battery is getting low.
> (live system) I will test this asap and keep this list informed.

Remember that you can also test things with the UPS powering a dummy
load, like an old monitor or a lamp. Then, if you simply do not start
upsmon, you can discharge the battery completely without shutting down
the system which is monitoring the UPS. 'upsc' only needs the driver
and 'upsd', as you found out.

--
- Charles Lepple