[Nut-upsuser] Geek Squad UPS Systems

Doug Reynolds mav at wastegate.net
Tue Jan 2 15:41:38 CET 2007

Kory Hamzeh wrote:
> We are interested in using Nut on our Federa 6.0 servers. However, our
> UPS systems are sold under the name "Geek Squad" (sold through the Best
> Buy chain of department stores). I'm pretty certain Geek Squad does not
> manufacture these units and they just rebrand them. Does anyone know who
> makes these units or what they are compatible with in terms of driver
> level protocol? The ones we use are the 1500VA capacity model.
>
> If this is not the proper forum for this question, please let me know.

According to this link, the 1285VA (and the 1500VA) model uses
PowerPanel, which happens to be the same software as my cyberpower ups
does..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7383985&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08029&id=1122654249041

The lower prices models ( < 1000VA) looks like the old contact-closure
APC ups, and come with "a power management application" for windows 98/xp/nt

if the ups uses the cyber power command set, you might be in luck, as
Arjen and I finally have a working cpsups driver...

an easy way to test it is:

open your serial port to your ups with cu (ie cu -s 2400 -l
/dev/serialdevicename)

once it is opened, hit <enter> (a couple times if needed).  if you see a
#2, type in P4<enter>, and post back the info it returns.