[Nut-upsuser] initial configuration assistance

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Jan 30 08:46:25 CET 2007

> I've configured upsd.conf with
> [rack1ups]
>          driver = apcsmart
>          cable = 940-0024C
>          port = auto

This won't work. You need to specify a serial port for this driver (see
'man 5 ups.conf' and 'man 8 apcsmart'). Only the 'newhidups' driver
accepts 'auto' (anything actually), but that is an USB driver.

>          desc = "Rack 1 UPS"
> and left most other files as default, except for following some parts of
> doco on initial setup.
>
> The problem: When I /etc/init.d/upsd start, I get this:
> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.4
> Can't connect to UPS [rack1ups] (apcsmart-auto): No such file or directory
> Synchronizing........ giving up
>
> "auto" is replaced with "ttyS0" when I change 'port' to '/dev/ttyS0'

I would expect some lines showing that the driver is started, so I doubt
that the driver is running. Are you sure that /etc/init.d/upsd is an init
script and not a link to the upsd binary? What does the output of 'ps
aux|grep ups' show when you've started this?

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands