[Nut-upsuser] Spurious shutdown

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Jun 28 06:49:21 UTC 2007

>> Darren: how old is the battery?
>
> 3 years old.

If the battery is at the same temperature as reported (50 degrees), that
battery definitly needs replacement. For each 10 degrees above the nominal
specified temperature (usually in the 25 - 30 degrees range), the life
expectancy of the battery is halved. So in your case, you should expect to
get a service life of about one year only.

> There's no indication from the unit itself that the battery needs to be
> replaced; the corresponding LED isn't lit. However, maybe that's due to
> lack of (recent) tests; I'll do some soonish.

Be prepared that the capacity of the battery is probably *very* low, so
you may want bring the systems it is powering to a state where all
filesystems are mounted read-only, in order to prevent disaster.

> Should I need to replace the battery, well, they're cheap enough; less
> than £20, and shouldn't be much more with delivery. (And I've just
> noticed that the manual says that battery life is between 3 and 5
> years...)

If the batteries don't already need replacement (whatever the indicators
show), they will soon. For a lousy £20 I wouldn't take the risk and
replace them.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands