[Nut-upsuser] Bogus "UPS not available" messages

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed May 23 18:02:11 UTC 2007

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org>:
>> What's in the logfiles? Is this message generated by the driver, the
>> server or the client?
> Which log is relevant? /var/log/messages or something else?

The syslog. Where that resides, depends on your local configuration,
although /var/log/messages is generally a good starting point.

> I don't see this documented anywhere, and it should be.

This is documented in the INSTALL file (amongst other places by the
way), which serves as a starting point for new users.

>>> Also, shouldn't upsc report the poll time associated with the data
>>> it displays?
>> Which poll time?
> Time at which the last data was received from the UPS.

This is logged in the syslog in case the status changes. It makes no
sense to store the timestamp for the last time data was received. Data
is either fresh or stale (depending on what the driver settings are),
there is nothing in between. Some UPSes happen to miss a lot of polls
(because their hardware is crappy), it makes no sense to pollute the
syslog in that case. For others, even a single glitch may be worthwhile
logging. Users generally won't be able to determine the freshness of the
data without detailed knowledge about what's inside.

Best regards, Arjen