[Nut-upsuser] Belkin USB UPSes

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sat May 26 21:55:44 UTC 2007

2007/5/26, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to>:
> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 23:39:38 +0200,
>   Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://eu1.networkupstools.org/acknowledgements.html
> >
> > this is part of an hwdb project I'd like to push (with Debian, Ubuntu,
> > FreeDesktop.org and maybe Linspire ;-) in order to inform FLOSS users
> > of the right choice to make (ie the manufacturers that generally
> > support FLOSS) when buying devices.
>
> I have tried to report MGE's UPS' to the FSF "good" hardware project, but they
> don't seem particularly interested in tracking that kind of hardware or my
> messages got lost.

thanks for this Bruno ;-)

(note that the below diversion would better suit to the devel list)
as for the FSF effort, like all the other existing ones, they are dead
by essence!
the fact is that they are completely wrong from the base, ie the way
to get the base (and most) data (by manual input for these). So they
only focus on the major hardware upon their launch, and smoothly get
down.

The difference in my approach is simple: the hardware compatibility is
a knowledge owned by the upstream projects, like NUT. Acquiring data
from these, using scripts to convert from their current format, to
feed a database is the way to go and succeed. Having a standard file
format is a 2nd step. And data could be inserted or completed online,
or through some automatic feedback mechanism (like the Ubuntu one),
and fed back to the upstream projects...
I really need to write all that down!

Arnaud