[Nut-upsuser] UPS shutdown - always the thing to do?

Whit Blauvelt whit+nut at transpect.com
Tue Nov 20 02:28:15 UTC 2007

Now looking at the FAQ again, it offers the same snippet of code as the
Install doc, but implies that it isn't needed just in case the bios - as
mine does - has an "always power on when power's restored" option.

If that implication is right, then does that mean that soon after the UPS
gives the signal to the PC that the PC should consider shutting down, that
the UPS will cut the power anyway - assuring a power cycle to restart the
PC? If so, that could leave a small window between the PC's going off and
the UPS cutting the power (when not commanded to do so prematurely with that
"shutdown" command) in which power restoration wouldn't trigger the PC
rebooting - unless the UPS is smart enough to power cycle on power
restoration just in the case that it was past the point of advising PC
shutdowns already. If that's so, then I should stop worrying and get back to
packing for vacation.

(I'm not, btw, really expecting you know this level of detail - just figuring
someone on this list probably does. The docs seem to not quite cover this.)

Regards,
Whit