[Nut-upsuser] Can't get 'load.off' to turn off power to the PC: CyberPower 1200AVR

Mark E. Hansen meh at Winfirst.Com
Tue Sep 18 18:32:13 UTC 2007

On 09/18/07 11:08, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Mark E. Hansen wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the help in getting the current development sources (to Charles
>> Lepple as well). I've downloaded and configured/installed nut-2.3.0-r1114.
>>
>> However, I don't see any difference in how the setting of some variables
>> appears to be ignored.
>
> In that case, chances are that your UPS doesn't support changing these
> values. If it doesn't accept any changes to these values, there is
> nothing we can do about it.

Bummer.

[ snip ]

>> What I really want to be able to do is get the UPS to decide to shut down the
>> PC when it is only a few minutes into the power failure. I know the UPS must
>> be able to support this because I can do this using the Windows-based
>> configuration tool (I have the exact UPS running on a Windows/2000 machine as
>> well).
>
> This may be an action that is not triggered by the UPS, but rather a
> timer that is started by the PC software as soon as the UPS is on
> battery. We have 'upssched' to do something similar. See 'man 8
> upssched'.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. That may be just what I need.

>             I assume you have read and understood the reasons in the FAQ
> why we generally recommend against doing that.

I've read the FAQ and I'm sure I found the entires to which you refer. However,
what those entries don't consider is the primary problem with waiting until
the UPS is nearly dead - such as a second power failure soon after the power
comes back. This is how it normally goes around my neck of the woods.

The FAQ entries also say that the main reason for buying a UPS is to maximize
up-time for the machine. However, that's not true in my case. I purchased the
UPS to manage an orderly shutdown of my machine when the power fails, and
to bring my machine back up when the power returns.

>> Perhaps there's just some magic in setting these values which I've not yet
>> found?
>
> I doubt it.
>
> Best regards, Arjen

Thanks again for all your help.