[Nut-upsuser] Unsupported UPS using megatec_usb

Jamie Thompson lists.nut-upsuser at jamie-thompson.co.uk
Sat May 17 23:05:49 UTC 2008

Alexander I. Gordeev wrote:
> Add 'ignoreoff' to the UPS definition in ups.conf as I've written before.
> 'load.off' is currently not supported because my UPS does it very unreliable.
> Maybe you'll have better experience but it requires some hacking.

Ok, Debian's current version doesn't have the flag, but the build I did does, so noted.

> This is common for very cheap and bogus UPSes we both have.

So it would seem :)

>> ...and the reported commands are:
>>> test.battery.start.deep - Start a deep battery test
>> No effect
>>> test.battery.start - Start a battery test
>> No effect
>>> test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test
>> No effect
>
> This is strange. It should make some clicking sound at least.

Ok, my bad, I did some more testing and they do work, but only when the mains are live, which is as you'd expect.

>>> shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
>> No effect
>>> shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
>> No effect
>>> shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
>> No effect
>>> load.on - Turn on the load immediately
>> No effect
>>> load.off - Turn off the load immediately
>> No effect
>
> Not implemented. There is some way to make the UPS shutdown but it is
> too unreliable on my own model so I switched it off. Again, maybe you'll
> have better experience but it requires some hacking.

Right, OK. If they're not implemented then I'll leave things there. I just wanted to make sure they weren't required for normal, basic, UPS operation.
All I want is the UPS to soldier on as long as it can, then shut things down gracefully, so if I can achieve that, I'm set.

- Jamie