[Nut-upsuser] Belkin support?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 02:24:35 UTC 2009

On May 31, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 31 May 2009, Charles Lepple wrote:
>> On May 31, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> I have the newest nut (nut-2.2.2-4.fc10.i386) from fedora 10 repos)
>>> installed
>>> and this ups (from lsusb -vv):
>>>
>>> Bus 001 Device 006: ID 050d:0751 Belkin Components
>>
>> Hi Gene,
>>
>> This device should be supported by the usbhid-ups driver.
>
> That seems not to be part of the 2.6.30-rcX kernels.
> The current .config has:
>
> CONFIG_USB_HID=y
> CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y
> CONFIG_HID_BELKIN=y

I should have been more specific - usbhid-ups is a user-mode driver in
NUT. It uses libusb to kick the kernel's USB HID driver off of the
device, and it uses /dev/bus/usb (I forget the kernel driver name) to
speak the HID protocol.

> I can probably dig out anything else that might be helpful.
>
>> Usually you
>> would look this up in the data/drivers.list file, but it doesn't look
>> like the lsusb output is terribly helpful for that (Belkin seems to
>> change the underlying hardware while keeping the model name the
>> same).
>> Which model do you have?
>>
>> The NUT "README" file, while not specific to Fedora, should have the
>> rest of the info needed to set this up. (Perhaps someone with Fedora
>> 10 experience can suggest whether the "classic" driver or the HAL
>> driver would be better.) If I had to guess, I'd say the README is
>> in /
>> usr/share/doc/nut.
>>
>> - Charles
>
> It might help, if it was there:
> [root at coyote ~]# locate 'nut/README'
> [root at coyote ~]#
> [root at coyote ~]# cd `locate 'nut/'`
> [root at coyote cur]# ls
> 1243795177.4479.gANVC:2,RS  1243799859.4479.0TdwL
> 1243813905.4479.2izhm
> [root at coyote cur]# pwd
> /root/Mail/nut/cur
> [root at coyote cur]#
>
> I don't believe it exists in the rpms.  Next?

Sounds to me like a bug in the package.

We're trying to overhaul the documentation, so the website is a little
behind. But this should apply:

http://www.networkupstools.org/doc/2.2.0/README.html

(please keep the list CC'd via reply-all - thanks!)