[Nut-upsuser] NUT with Cyber Power 700 AVR

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sun Aug 29 15:39:39 UTC 2010

Citeren Rob Donovan <hikerman2005-nut op yahoo.com>:

> 1) syslog errors every 20+ minutes or so like :  Aug  7 10:21:03 ben
> usbhid-ups[3321]: libusb_get_string: error sending control message:
> Broken pipe

Not a cause of concern. It is a way of telling that the UPS is
currently not able to handle a command. Most likely this is due to the
UPS doing some internal housekeeping functions and the little
microcontroller inside is not able to handle a command. We will
probably suppress this in future NUT versions, as it is a common cause
of false alarms.

> 2) syslog errors on a similar timescale like : Aug  7 08:17:40 ben
> kernel: [40170.402789] usb 2-1.2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd
> usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 8 ret -110

Same here. The kernel is informing you that the UPS didn't respond to
a command (110 = ETIMEDOUT). The cause is most likely the same as the
above and not a cause of concern either. Unlike the above message,
there is nothing we can do about this as it is logged by the kernel.

> 3) The machine spontaneously shutdown this morning due to a "low
> battery" condition.  However, 80 minutes later when I noticed the
> UPS battery was at 100%.  I don't think it can charge that fast, so
> I think this must have been a communication error.

I'm not so sure about that. Don't overestimate the accuracy of the
battery charge gauge on the UPS. It could be that it is just voltage
based, which means that it will indicate full charge long before the
battery is actually full. It could also mean that the battery is bad.
This may cause nearly instant shutdowns when the mains fails (when the
battery is under load) while it looks like the battery is (almost)
full with the mains present (and the battery is not under load).
Running a battery test usually reveals what is going in.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)