[Nut-upsuser] APC Smart-UPS 1000

Kevin bakdong at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:56:45 UTC 2011

on 07/02/2011 20:58 Arjen de Korte wrote:

> I posted the 'old' and 'new' lines. You might have missed this on the
> first look, buy after I told you the difference, you could have looked
> again at the original post.

Of course I saw it, after you made it so plain in such a blunt manner.
As I said, others also missed it.

>> You miss the point entirely. I am giving you code that works, whereas
>> yours does not. Surely a programmers dream.

> Not at all. As I already indicated a couple of times, APC uses a myriad
> of methods to shutdown their UPSes. Have a look at the USB apcupsd code
> and you'll appreciate how broken the APC software is.

Again, the broken software story.

> So bluntly
> accepting your changes might have fixed you problems, but would at the
> same time break it again for others. This is the problem we're in (which
> you don't seem to understand).

No, because you seem unable even to replicate the behaviour of your
earlier versions (which I have shown to work after a small modification)
in your current versions.

It is beginning to seem as though the current code has become so complex
that no one actually understands exactly what it does any more.

As I said before, I am willing to put as much effort into this as is
required, but I am not a programmer, so please don't jump down my throat
for misreading a sentence.

I'll let you know the results tomorrow. However, it would help if you
gave me a patch to the original code so there could be no more
misunderstandings.