[Nut-upsuser] Using NUT to detect a normally closed circuit opening

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:18:00 UTC 2011

On Jun 20, 2011, at 2:09 PM, James Smith wrote:

> I have a temperature sensor (normally closed) that opens when it
> reaches a pre-defined temp. what I am trying to do is use NUT to
> look for the circuit opening and trigger an action (email or
> whatever). Is there a NUT ups driver I can use to do this? If so,
> does anybody know which pins on the serial I should connect the
> sensor to?

Someone else might have some suggestions about which pins to use, but
the genericups driver is the one which allows you to choose which pins
map to various states:

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/genericups.html#_custom_configurations

You probably want to map the sensor to the on line/on battery states,
since the low battery state is meant to be a one-way trip to shutting
down the system. The OL and OB states mentioned in the genericups man
page will trigger the first two notifications listed here:

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/upsmon.html#_notify_events