[Nut-upsuser] Startup timing issue with CyberPower CP425HG UPS

Arun twelvefortyfive at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 01:46:29 UTC 2011

Hi all -

I'm running into a small problem with the CyberPower CP425HG UPS and NUT 2.4 on Fedora 11.

For whatever reason, at system startup this UPS registers as a USB device very late in the boot process, *after* all the services have started. So at boot up when the "ups" service in init.d tries to start "upsdrvctl", it fails because no USB UPS device cannot be found. Hence the auto-shutdown on low battery does not work.

This all works great if I start the ups service manually ("service ups start") after the system has booted up.

I'm not sure how to fix this, other than to perhaps start the "ups" service from the udev rules file if a known USB UPS device has been found, but that seems like a rather ugly way to go about this. Does anyone have any thoughts?

System information:
Fedora 11, Kernel 2.6.30, NUT 2.4.3

UPS product page:
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/soho-ups/CP425HG.html