[Nut-upsuser] Looking for a low cost USB UPS that supports shutdown.return

James Northcott / Chief Systems james at chiefsystems.ca
Thu Sep 29 22:04:15 UTC 2011

> I will be running more tests today since I want to get this working,
> I'll post again if I find out anything else.

Halting looks like this, when I run "upsmon -c fsd" to simulate a power
failure:

===========

* Stopping Network UPS Tools
* Stopping virtual private network daemon(s)...
* Asking all remaining processes to terminate...
* Killing all remaining processes...
* Deconfiguring network interfaces...
* Deactivating swap...
* Unmounting weak filesystems...
mount: / is busy
* Shutting down the UPS ...
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.3
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.3)
USB communication driver 0.31
No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

* Will now halt

============

OK, so the problem is that at shutdown-time, "upsdrvctl shutdown" cannot
find the device on the USB bus.

After some playing around, I've found that this happens when the udev
service is not running.  To duplicate this, you can do (on Ubuntu):

service udev stop
/sbin/upsdrvctl shutdown

WARNING:  if your system isn't like mine, and this actually does work,
it will cut power to all loads on the UPS, so be careful here.

I attempted to start the udev service before calling upsdrvctl in
/etc/init.d/ups-monitor, but the driver still failed to load.  I will
try some more tomorrow.

In the mean time, if anybody has run into this before, I would love some
pointers.

James