[Nut-upsuser] Kernel crash when using usbhid-ups driver.

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 22:50:09 UTC 2012

2012/11/27 Paul Whittaker <paul.whittaker at drisq.com>

> Hi,

Hi Paul,

I've recently added a UPS (CyberPower CP1300EPFCLCD) to one of our
> servers, and I'm managing it with NUT and the usbhid-ups driver.  I've
> configured it to do what we want, and it all works fine. (upsc displays
> information from upsd correctly, upsmon correctly shuts down both the
> server and the UPS when the battery is low, messages are logged when the
> mains supply to the UPS is cut/restored, and so forth.)
>
> However, in the week since installing NUT the server has suffered four
> kernel crashes (on stock 64-bit Ubuntu kernels, currently
> 3.2.0-33-generic) and has been unable to stay up for longer than 12-36
> hours without crashing hard and requiring manual power cycling; this
> system has never previously crashed.  Googling around the issue brings
> up various things, including
> http://thr3ads.net/nut-upsdev/2011/01/1475908-a-nasty-kernel-oops, which
> make me think this could be an existing issue with the
> kernel/library/USB stack that's being triggered by NUT.  I've tried a
> couple of workarounds (including running the driver with -D), but none
> have prevented these lock-ups.
>
> I'd like to use NUT with usbhid-ups to manage the UPS, but also
> (obviously) need to keep the server stable.  If there's a way to do
> this, I'd like to; if not, I've got some crash logs that someone might
> perhaps find useful.
>
> I'm happy to provide more details, but first I'd like to check a few
> basics since I'm new to the list:
>
>  1. Is this the right mailing list to be asking about this?  I can
> imagine the devs would be interested in this, but I'm primarily here as
> a user.

yes

 2. Is the Linux USB subsystem already known to be prone to stability
> issues like this, or am I just having some bad luck on this machine?

we have had very few issue, and yours is the 2nd (kernel crash with
production release, such as Alfred Ganz) iirc.
and your issue is probably different from Alfred's one, at least in the
symptoms.

>  3. What's the polite way to supply the list with large attachments,
> such as log extracts (~10kB) and photos of kernel crash screens (~900kB)?

please send the log here, in compressed form.
are the photos taken with a still cam?
please put these on your website (or any other public storage) and point
the link

a dump file would be preferable:
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/kernel-crash-dump.html

cheers,