[Nut-upsuser] UPS compatibility list

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 02:49:04 UTC 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Paul O'Rorke wrote:

> So where does this leave things regards Eaton and shut down?  Has anyone managed graceful shut down from an Eaton unit with either of the ushhid or bcmxcp drivers?

Generally speaking, the UPS will signal when it reaches a low battery state, regardless of whether the UPS publishes runtime statistics, battery percentages, or any other such values. The real difference between a "smart" and "dumb" UPS is not just the protocol, but how advanced the battery monitoring and charging circuitry is.

I have an old MGE UPS that uses the usbhid-ups driver, and I have no problems shutting down the system via the LB signal in NUT. The non-Powerware-based Eaton units can be considered "descendants" of this hardware, from what I understand, and provide similar variables.

(Note that I am not affiliated with Eaton. Along those lines, the developers of NUT would not know if a new Eaton model would not work with NUT until someone reports it to the mailing list, but that has not been an issue to date.)

Alf has already commented on the bcmxcp side.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail