[Nut-upsuser] Smart-UPS RT 3000 XL: very old or unknown APC model, support will be limited

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Thu Oct 23 11:51:36 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-20 01:05, David Gessel wrote:
> I have a Smart-UPS RT 3000 XL connected via serial cable to TrueNAS TrueNAS-9.2.1.2-RELEASE-x64 (002022c) which runs on FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3.
>
> When I start the NUT service, I get the message:
>
> Oct 20 01:53:50 truenas notifier: very old or unknown APC model, support will be limited
>
> Which I interpret as an indicator of less than optimal operating mode.  I suspect that the model identifier is not listed, though the model is likely pretty much a standard Smart-UPS.

This essentially means that:

- the driver has no compatiblity entries for this model
- the ups itself doesn't support command 'a' (returning its known
commands/variables)
- alternatively it does support 'a', but the format is somehow damaged
and the driver refuses to work with it

The ups will work, but nut will treat it in "lowest common denominator"
mode - no capabilities, no ability to set variables, etc. And
considering the model, it's kind of surprising.

Can you start the driver in debug mode (-D option of upsdrvctl) ? There
should be lots of logs produced, perhaps with some insight.

Can you connect to it directly to and issue:

^z (ctrl-z)

and tell me what it outputs to the screen ? The commands are in order:

enter smart mode
report firmware (older method)
report firmware (newer method, might return overvoltage on old models)
report supported commands/variables
report supported capabilities