[Nut-upsuser] Install problems (group permissions) with nut 2.7.2

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Thu Feb 19 13:43:18 UTC 2015

Thank you all for the help!

I followed the log messages and found where it had created the udev rule...as Charles said, in /lib/udev/rules.d.  It is named 52-nut-xxxx and there is nothing else that starts with 52 in /lib/udev/rules.d or /etc/udev/rules.d.

I looked at the file and saw how it was laid out...basically an ATTR for every known USB UPS.  Well, since mine is not a known UPS, I had to add my own entry.  So I added a similar entry to all the others, but putting in my USB vendor and product IDs and setting GROUP="nut" (like all the other entries do).

ATTR{idVendor}=="04d8", ATTR{idProduct}=="005c", MODE="664", GROUP="nut"

But so far as I can tell, when I plug in the USB cable from the UPS...it is still not setting it to nut group permissions.  I am looking at the file in /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0 (which goes away when I unplug the UPS).  Either way, upsdrvctrl still won't start unless I add "-u root".

So I think my udev rule is simply not taking somehow.

Sincerely,
Rob Groner