[Nut-upsuser] Problems with NUT 2.7.2 on CentOS 7 and using the Mini-Box OpenUPS

Philip Taylor philip at kelsotowers.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 12:21:11 UTC 2015

I’m a new user of NUT and the OpenUPS - in the past I’ve used APC hardware and apcupsd on Centos 6.

I’ve built NUT 2.7.2 from source but used the OpenUPS HID driver v0.4 that’s in github. I’m using firmware version 1.5 on the openups which is the latest published version; I’ve also tried 1.7 which Mini-box sent to me but reverted to the published version. Their support seems a bit slow!

I’ve got NUT working OK and the upsd running, with upsmon working OK too - all is well as long as I leave the power on, or the battery takes over but doesn’t need to shut down the system!

But if I try to shut down the system using 'upsdrvctl shutdown’ I get a USB error message - ‘Can’t claim USB device [04d8:doo4]:’ This looks like permissions but I’ve set up UDEV and the users in accordance with the instructions.

Also if the battery runs down, there is no communication from the UPS via USB - the power just dies. I could use the motherboard toggle to shut down the system, but then I can’t run pre-shutdown scripts.

I also can’t collect any data by upsrw (returns blank) or upscmd (no commands available) - though these functions might not be implemented in the OpenUPS - does anyone know?

Any help gratefully received!

Philip.
Can't claim USB device [04d8:d004]: driver 0.32
Can't claim USB device [04d8:d004]: