[Nut-upsuser] Tripplite SNMPwebcard communication lost and established randomly

Jason Gould jgould at cddiagnostics.com
Mon Mar 30 14:41:36 UTC 2015

Just started using NUT and having a problem. I'm not sure if it is even NUT that is causing the issue.
I'm running the latest FreeNAS 9.3 release.
Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.7.2.
The UPS is a Tripplite SU6000RT4UHVPM with the SNMPwebcard installed.
I'm trying to use the SNMPwebcard, not USB or Serial. I've updated the SNMPwebcard to the latest firmware version (see below).

In FreeNAS I was able to create a connection to the UPS by simply adding the IP address for the Port and defining the driver as "Various ups 3 (various) SNMP - RFC 1628 (snmp-ups)". After that querying it just worked via "upsc tripplite". And everything looks fine. However after a few hours I started getting emails and messages in the console about communication lost (COMMBAD) and shortly after it being established. This happens over and over again. I thought perhaps I needed to change some of the settings in ups.conf. I tried adjusting the pollfreq up to 30, using an snmp_version v2c, and a few other adjustments. However the behavior persists.

I just stated to use NUT. I'm not sure if NUT is causing this, or perhaps the SNMPwebcard in the UPS. Or perhaps a switch on the network. And I'm not really sure how to figure it out. I'm starting with NUT since that is the only thing currently that is exhibiting this behavior. Perhaps this is something others have seen and know how to fix. A portion of what I am seeing in the console below.

[root at freenas] /usr/local/libexec/nut# upsc tripplite
battery.charge: 100.00
battery.runtime: 4020.00
battery.temperature: 17.00
battery.voltage: 219.00
device.mfr: TRIPPLITE
device.model: SU6000RT4UHVPM
device.type: ups
driver.name: snmp-ups
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: 192.168.0.24
driver.parameter.snmp_version: v2c
driver.version: 2.7.2
driver.version.data: ietf MIB 1.4
driver.version.internal: 0.72
input.bypass.frequency: 59.90
input.bypass.phases: 1.00
input.bypass.voltage: 209.00
input.frequency: 59.90
input.phases: 1.00
input.transfer.high: 300.00
input.transfer.low: 100.00
input.voltage: 209.00
input.voltage.nominal: 220.00
output.current: 0.20
output.frequency: 60.00
output.phases: 1.00
output.realpower: 419.00
output.voltage: 220.00
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.firmware: 06
ups.firmware.aux: 12.06.0064
ups.load: 80.00
ups.mfr: TRIPPLITE
ups.model: SU6000RT4UHVPM
ups.status: OL

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 20:37 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite lost

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 20:38 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite established

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 0:38 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite lost

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 0:38 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite established

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 1:38 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite lost

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 1:38 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite established

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 3:09 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite lost

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 3:09 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite established

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 3:39 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite lost

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 3:39 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite established

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com
        (no tty) at 4:09 EDT...

Communications with UPS tripplite lost

Broadcast Message from root at freenas.internal.cddiagnostics.com