[Nut-upsuser] Cannot access Patriot Pro II from new system

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 01:55:02 UTC 2015

On Nov 23, 2015, at 10:21 AM, Olav Seyfarth <olav at seyfarth.de> wrote:

> I've noticed this tread:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2014-November/006801.html
> But unless I misunderstood something, the driver bestups should still
> work in jessie, right?

It should still work.

> Might this be a clable issue?
>
> The cable is the original cable that used to work with Best software (on
> Windows XP) and NUT (unsure which version, default repos). I checked
> it's wiring, it's as described in
> http://www.networkupstools.org/cables.html#_phoenixtec_best_power except
> that PC Pins 1,8 and 9 are connected to ground/shield.
>
> Or a serial setup failure?
>
> stty tells me that the driver sets speed to 2400baud, but does that mean
> that the driver can establish a connection to the device?
> How to tell?

There is no hardware handshaking, so the only way to tell is to send commands to the UPS.

> If I interpreted other posts correctly, I should be able to use a
> terminal program to access the UPS device. So I started minicom  -D
> /dev/ttyS0 (without and with " -b 2400" or " -b 9600") and tried to
> enter "Q1 \r" but I don't even get a local echo.

I think minicom defaults to enabling hardware handshaking, so try turning that off (^A, O, "Serial port setup", F).

> So what does that mean and what else can I try?
>
> Thank you for your ideas and hints!
> Olav
>
> P.S.: Once it works, should I contribute my values to
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut-ddl/tree/master/Best_Power ? How?

You can open an issue on the DDL repository, and include the output of "upsc", "upsrw", and "upscmd -l". I think the latter two will be mostly empty-- I'd check, but I am actually running the newer nutdrv_qx, which wasn't released until NUT 2.7.3.

> My new machine is ASUS H7-Plus; it has an internal serial connector
> (with tappet(?) so that I can only plug the internal cable in one way)
> but I bought a 3rd pary shield.

If you have a jumper wire handy, you can connect the PC's TxD to RxD, and check that characters are echoed in minicom. Then check the continuity to the serial port.

> # setserial -gav /dev/ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
>    Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>    closing_wait: 3000
>    Flags: spd_normal skip_test

Curious about the "skip_test" option...