[Nut-upsuser] Power Down ESXi before SAN

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Jul 17 20:46:53 UTC 2017

On July 17, 2017 12:14:38 PM GMT+02:00, Roger Price <roger at rogerprice.org> wrote:
>On Sun, 16 Jul 2017, Mike Schaffner wrote:
>
>> I have 2 APC UPS systems, one is connected to my ESXi host and the
>other
>> to my FreeNAS.   The battery for the FreeNAS will run out before the
>> battery for the ESXi, so I need ESXi to shutdown first.   If I wait
>> until BatteryLow on ESXI, it will be too late as FreeNAS will have
>> already shutdown.   How can I change the configuration on ESXI to
>> shutdown after a small delay so that it is done before the FreeNAS
>> Shutdown starts.
>
>See chapter 7 in http://rogerprice.org/NUT/ConfigExamples.A5.pdf which
>covers timed shutdowns.
>
>You could also use the [OB LB] status on the FreeNAS to shutdown the
>ESXi
>as a slave before the master FreeNAS.  Do you have NUT running on the
>FreeNAS?
>
>Roger

You can also have the upsmon on ESXi track the UPS state on NAS, perhaps as a NUT client to NAS's upsd server, and shut down when that is in bad shape.

But normally one should set up the clusterware scripts to trigger and orchestrate such distributed activities - there can be graceful shutdown cases other than UPS... perhaps the NAS can (attempt to) call ESX API to stop/save/... all VMs as one of its shutdown scripts?

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android