[Nut-upsuser] CentOS rpm package installation

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Jun 22 23:13:07 UTC 2017

On 06/23/2017 01:51 AM, Ambrogio Coletti wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am not a linux expert.
>
> The output of uname -r on my system returns:
> 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64
>
> hence I am trying to install this rpm:
> sudo yum install nut-2.7.4-9.fc27.x86_64.rpm
>
> but I got failed dependencies.

You are trying to install packages built for Fedora 27 on a CentOS 6
system. This is not possible.
You can
-  either use the [old] nut packages from the Fedora EPEL 6
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL> repository. Using EPEL is very
simple nowadays, all you need to do is to run the following command:
             yum install epel-release --enablerepo=extras
( by default you might not even need the "--enablerepo=extras" part, the
repository comes already enabled)
             After that you just run         yum install nut ( or
nut-client or whatever you need )
- or you can trust me ( I am a packager for Fedora since 2007 and also
what they call a "sponsor" which basically means, among others, that I
could also teach people how to package for Fedora and EPEL - but for the
last 2-3 years I focused strictly on creating packages that can be used
on CentOS systems ) and use the packages I made available via
https://wolfy.fedorapeople.org/nut/ . If you want  to use my packages,
you will need to download and install them manually, using ( after
downloading the needed packages ) a command similar to:
             yum install ./nut*rpm
If you encounter any issues with my packages ( NOT with nut itself but
when installing or dl-ing the packages  ! ) feel free to contact me
directy either by mail or via IRC ( I am " wolfy " on
#centos-social/Freenode ) and I will be glad to assist you.

> Is there a repository I am supposed to set up to get those
> dependencies from?
No, you cannot do that. Fedora and CentOS are similar but the binary
packages built for one of them cannot be used on the other one. If you
want to use the official packages from the EPEL 6 repository, start with
the first link I have provided.