[Nut-upsuser] APC Back UPS?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Dec 28 22:17:27 GMT 2018

Ben Kamen writes:

> It's most definitely not Ethernet.
>
> LIke I said - I have a BackUPS 350... it has the 8p8c modular connector and
> came with a cable that plugs into USB.

I have had several APC models over the years. They were all like that. They
all came with an RJ to a USB-A cable, and were recognized as garden-variety
USB devices. Right now I have an ES 550 and an NS-1080, and both of them use
this weird cable. Both of them show up as

... ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion Uninterruptible Power Supply

I always thought it was weird how APC units offer an RJ plug instead of a
USB-B/mini/micro plug. I couldn't think of any good reason to do that,
except, perhaps, using the same combo Ethernet/USB chip across their entire
product line, and then just wiring one half of it, depending on the model.
I'm only guessing that mass-producing a non-standard RJ/USB cable is cheaper
than manufacturing two different chips, plugs, and form-factors for their
UPSes.